Oh my … My last entry has been almost ages ago … I’m so busy with work and life in general that the days seem to go by in turbo mode. Thank God that next week will be the last one before having 3 1/2 weeks off!!!!
Today is such gorgeous weather that I kicked off my training for the marathon relay on May 4th today. I ran awfully slow ‘cause after the distance-based plan from last year I wanted to try out something different, based on duration and heart rate. We’ll see if that makes me faster!
Yesterday’s workout was a really, really tough one - each tiny movement currently causes a small whiney sound from my side. Who knew how much it can hurt just brushing your hair?
And do you know what I’m already looking forward to? Getting up tomorrow because the second day after a workout is always even worse than the first …
Finally home after a long day at work and a body weight exercise session with my dragonboating team - the exercise shown on the pic is the one I kind of developed a love-hate-relationship with during today’s training … My muscles will feel so sore tomorrow!
Oh, hi there little Tumblr! Meeting up with Phil (fasterphil) and his Dad yesterday reminded me that I should carry my bum over here more often …
Today saw me heading out for a tempo run before the dreaded snow comes (forecasted for next week) - while we have no true snow yet it is already freezing cold. When I went off for my run we were at -11°C, windchill -19°C. Amazing how many layers you can wear and still be able to run! Afterwards I treated myself to one of Hamburg’s famous Franzbrötchen aka cinnamon rolls, a banana and some coffee.
Originally, today called for a short tempo run in the morning and a strength training session around lunch time, followed by coffee and cake. On Thursday we had a training session that you could best describe as bootcamp. I could barely move yesterday and today it was even worse … So I went out for a slow, slow, slow run, postponed the tempo run to tomorrow (please cross your fingers that my muscles feel better after a good night’s sleep) and settled on having coffee and cake right away.
First slightly longer run for this year is in the bag! I decided to run a new route (one of those I didn’t consider for the longer runs during my marathon training last year because it is totally bug infested in the spring and summer - but perfect now) and ran past quite a few gatherings of those wild geese.
True! I have kept my jar with motivational quotes to pick one whenever I felt the need to … After a night with way too many hours awake and hardly any sleep (without an apparent reason, I think the holidays messed a bit with my biorhythm) I could hardly muster enough energy to get ready for work - and then I drew this from the jar and I decided to believe for a bit and by some magic the day turned out way better than I had feared it would.
Happy New Year! Since I have caught the running bug in February 2011 January 1st has always seen me lacing up my running shoes and heading out for the first run of the new year. It was relatively cold but so, so sunny and there were lots of people out and about in the sun. I’m excited about what 2014 has in store for me after an absolutely amazing 2013. I love the way 2014 starts - no stressing around with moving, no need to settle into a new job and trying to gain the same security and standing there as I had at my old job.
Oh well … Hi there! Life has kept me pretty busy these past few days and weeks but in a good way. I have enjoyed myself immensely and I don’t regret a thing!
Here’s my personal list (in no specific order) of highlights that have happened:
1) I have really gotten myself into knitting now (and it’s amazing how much I can relax during this) and this made me give my Mum the first self-made present in years! A scarf in her favourite colour.
2) My Dad made it to first place for the most thoughtful Christmas gift this year - a huge gift card for a wonderful spa I have always dreamt of going to but which is ridiculously expensive. My boyfriend came a close second with a gift card from MAC.
3) We have booked a trip to the US in March!!! It will be my first time ever and I’m immensely looking forward to visiting L.A., the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite National Park, Lake Tahoe and San Francisco!
4) I had my big feedback talk for 2013 with my boss which went extremely well and made me proud of myself.
5) I took care to balance work, exercise and socialising as well as I could - which led to some awesome nights out, good talks, freshly discovered muscles, much less stress and a more relaxed me.
6) I have started with reading Patricia Cornwell’s Kay Scarpetta series and am seriously hooked. Thankfully, one of my friends owns all books so far …
7) Standing in my most favourite spot during Christmas time in Hamburg at least once a week “just because I can again now”.
Still alive! I had lots of social events during the last week (the last one being a visit to the Christmas market yesterday with my Mum) plus a few lingering symptoms of my cold … I’m officially healthy again so “Dedicated December” is on again with respect to exercising. First strength training today, so I’m a bit anxious about how I will feel tomorrow … And I have started my next knitting project after finishing off my very first self-made scarf!